Be At Peace

Be At Peace
Cause Joy!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Cigars and Single Malt Scotch Whiskey--

Cigars and Single Malt Scotch Whiskey--

There are quite a few recreational golfers who do not consider the days match complete
without spending a while in the club house lounge enjoying a good cigar and a glass of
fine old single malt scotch whiskey. Myself, I do not care for the cigar part of the
tradition. I do not smoke anything anymore and especially not cigars unless I am already
sick. It would be a shame to end a beautiful day on the links on a sour or sick note.
The few times I have smoked cigars I was left with a foul taste and feeling the
next morning like a parrot had slept in my mouth. However,I do partake in a bit
of single malt scotch whiskey.

I read in a Spring edition of Golf Digest an article by Sarah Max that it is possible
to have your own cask of single malt scotch whiskey. Tullibardine distiller has taken the distinction to a new level. Casks come in three sizes. The smallest, a bourbon barrel, holds the equivalent
of 350 bottles of 10 year old scotch and costs about $1,700.00, including 10 years of
insurance and storage in Tullibardine's bonded warehouse. A hogshead holds about 455
bottles and costs $2,900.00. A butt holds 870 bottles and costs about $5,000.00.
The owner's whose names are stenciled onto their casks, have visitation rights and can
sample their whiskey at various stages while it ages for a minimum of 10 years. That is
probably more than you wanted to know about scotch whiskey, but now you can have something
else to talk about if you played badly.


I am leaving for a few days of 'honey do's'so I'll pick up on this next week and relate
more about a fine cigar. If you cannot wait, I suggest going to the news stand or the
doctor's office and pick up a copy of Golf Digest INDEX 2. It is a good read. Think long
and straight.
FL

No comments:

Post a Comment