Be At Peace

Be At Peace
Cause Joy!

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Adults Can Stay Fit As A Fiddle

Walk into any department store and you’ll find hundreds of beauty products lining the shelves for men and women. Each one of those products has something else as a miracle ingredient, something unique to offer. Most promise to hide the signs of aging. Some make claims of being able to erase the years and to have you looking 10, 20 or more years younger. But, in truth, there is no way to avoid aging other than die young, is there? The choices are limited and so far all you have seen on the shelves is perhaps a new paint job for the old body or maybe someway to make the wrinkles seem shallower.


Consider some numbers for a moment:


In the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, the average life expectancy in the United States was that of just 42 years of age! Today, that age has nearly doubled its size and that’s no short feet to accomplish. The fact is that people are living longer because of the benefits of modern medicine and the benefits that technology offers.


In fact, today, there are over 70,000 people in the United States alone that are at the age of 100 or more! That is an outstanding number. My mother-in-law, Ruth, lived to 103 and was mostly happy and fit when she died. She looked forward to each day and kept up with current events. She lived in three different centuries. She was born in 1899 and passed on in 2,002. She lived thru wars, the untimely demise of her only husband, a few wars and skirmishes, and she couldn't believe Bill Clinton was impeached. She could not believe it when she saw the World Trade Center Buildings collapse. She was able to enjoy her life until the very end. She lived alone and refused gently to go to a nursing home. She stayed fit and in control of her life.


What if we told you that it really had nothing to do with those beauty products on the market, but that it had to do with the things that you are capable of making changes with today, right now? Would that excite you? It does me! Understand that I am not interested nor do I want to live to be 103 or anywhere near that unless I am healthy. If I am sickly and a burden to others, then I pray that God will take me home to my Heavenly home.


I am 75 years old - three quarters of a century - with three joint replacements and over thirty surgeries. Now understand that I consider a ‘surgery’ to be anytime the doctor or medical professional breaks my skin for any reason with a scalpel. Naturally, simple shots do not count.


I had my left shoulder completely replaced with titanium and it works great. I can lift, throw, push, and still hit a golf ball 250 yards. I have had both knees replaced with titanium joints and they are doing great. No problems! I still have a stainless steel screw in my right wrist from having damaged the bones that make up that joint. I had one screw removed because it began to protrude suspiciously beneath the skin. Even with all of those major surgeries, I feel very good.


That is what this post is all about. It is important for you to understand that you don’t just want to look younger. You need to dig deeper into your lifestyle and feel younger this message is saying that it is better to feel good than to look good. That is just the opposite from what Billy Chrystal tells us thru one of his characters who says, “Dahlinc, you look Mahvelous.” "And you know dahlinc it is better to look good than to feel good!" That is similar to statements usually heard at the funeral home, “she looks really good and so natural.” For me, I had rather be vital and have people say, "hey man, it is good to see you. I am just pleased to be seen. I had rather be seen than viewed.


More often than not, if you do keep yourself in good health, even if you are ever to suffer from a sickness like the influenza du jur or some other sick, if you are in good physical, mental and emotional health, the siege will not be as severe as it could be if you have not taken care of yourself.


Click on any of the hyper links and sign up for your free book, "Ten Minute Guide To Health and Fitness."


Cause Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment